Saturday, August 13, 2016

EDC Review: Kershaw Leek

EDC or every day carry is a term used to describe some items someone carries and uses on a daily basis. Typically, this refers to a tool of some kind. I carry a knife on an everyday basis in addition to several other things. I thought I would take the time to review mine.  


I carry a Kershaw Leek



I used to carry a Kershaw Blur knife which I bought because I really liked the tiger striping on the blade and liked that the company was American and so was the knife. Eventually I decided to purchase a new knife: The Kershaw Leek. Since I bought it I have started to carry it every day and because of this I took some knife laws into consideration.  

According to Michigan Law you can carry a knife of any length as long as you are carrying it without intent to harm. However,  if you were to use a knife for self-defense it needs to be less than 3 inches in length.

Honestly, I don’t really carry my knife for self-defense; I use it mostly to open packages and to cut the string that the mail comes wrapped in at work. For this purpose the knife has performed admirably.

One of my favorite features of the knife is it’s unconventional blade shape. The knife has a razor blade like edge and en extremely sharp point. It is so sharp and precise at the tip that I have actually used it like you would an X-Acto knife.



It also features a Speedsafe assisted opening blade, which helps with opening the knife one handed. I can actually open and close the knife with one hand. The assisted opening means the blade is essentially spring loaded to if you flick the knob on the blade it will open the blade the rest of the way on it's own. 

It also features a safety on the blade. I was surprised at how much I have come to love the safety on this knife. It prevents the knife from opening when dropped or in the pocket, which is especially appealing on a knife with assisted opening. With previous knives I have dropped it and had it spring open which can be dangerous.

Another design feature that makes this knife so great as an everyday carry is how slim the blade is. It is small and lightweight and I can barely tell if it’s in my pocket or not.



From Kershaw’s website you can pick up a Leek for $80 but they can be found from other sites for around $50. If you look closely on the blade you’ll notice it has XXXX imprinted on the blade. This is Kershaw’s denotation for a factory second. A factory second is a knife that didn’t quite make it through quality control. Mine failed because of a blemish on the black coating of the blade. This meant that I purchased my a fully functioning Leek for approximately $40 with the only disadvantage being it came with a scratch and doesn’t have the full factory warranty. 




The Leek is my favorite every day carry knife I’ve ever owned and it’s hard for me to think of a way for it to be better. It’s lightweight, versatile and a joy to use and own, all at a great price. If you’re in the market for an every day knife I highly recommend the Leek.

No comments:

Post a Comment